Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Songs of 2009 part 6

Are you starting to see a pattern in my song choices yet? I feel like I've used the words 'driving beat' and 'fuzzy guitars' and 'makes me want to dance' about fifty gazillion times by now. At least now I know I have consistent taste! :)

## Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups
from Swoon

Fuzzy guitars like sirens in the background, that gravelly growly voice that goes so well with it. The album is good, not great; maybe I was expecting a few more stand-out tracks like this one.

Watch:



## Hell by Tegan and Sara
from Sainthood

I am so torn by their new album. The first time I listened to it I really didn't like it. I didn't enjoy the new direction they'd taken, all jagged edges; I missed the sweetness of their folkier, heartfelt songs. But I've given the album a few more spins and I think I'm getting it more now: they are no less heartfelt under the layers of guitars and driving beats. This song is fantastic: it's catchy, but the grittiness of the lyrical content is conveyed in, and suits, the rockier sound.

Watch: live performance vid, which means cute Canadian accents and banter and rambly stories about weird hair diseases guinea pigs get :D



## Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap
from Conditions

I tried to resist, but they started playing this endlessly on the radio and it became a highlight of my work day, when they'd play this instead of the bland, mainstream junk. It's so pretty and lovely and joyful, as the insistent beat drives the whole thing on while that lovely falsetto vocal floats over the top.

Watch:



## You and I by Wilco
from Wilco (the album)

A duet, featuring Feist. Jeff Tweedy's voice works so so well with her voice; they meld in this lovely harmony, the textures complemeting each other. The song is lovely too, a slice of alt-country pop with a melody that just begs to be sung-along to.

Watch: in performance



Zero by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
from It’s Blitz!

From the synth-heavy opener to when Karen O's sublime voice slinks over it, this song always always makes me want to dance. And be as badass as Karen O in the video, ever dancing and performing so freely for an unseen audience. :)

Watch: Cutest moment: the whole band smushed onto one trolley!



Songs of 2009 part 5
Songs of 2009 part 4
Songs of 2009 part 3
Songs of 2009 part 2
Songs of 2009 part 1

No comments: