Sunday, December 20, 2009

Songs of 2009 part 3

Part 3 of 7 of my favourite songs for 2009 (released in 2009, only one per artist, in alphabetical order by artist) -

##Alpha Dog by Fall Out Boy
from Believers Never Die

I listened a lot to Fall Out Boy's Folie a Deux through the first half of this year, but since their singles collection was released a few months ago this song has gradually become one of my most-played. It seems they will never run out of big sounding stadium-ready pop punk anthems with clever, biting lyrics about the fleeting, unstable illusion of fame. This makes me happy though, because I don't think I will get sick of hearing such songs any time soon.

Watch:

Alpha Dog

Fall Out Boy | MySpace Music Videos



## Drumming Song by Florence + the Machine
from Lungs

I cannot get this song out of my head. The awesome drumming that builds and builds the song in relentless movement, the almost chant-like music, and Florence Welch's unearthly voice over it all...every time I hear this I want to dance and whirl around and just expel the energy that comes from this (the video captures this feeling pretty well!)

Watch:



## Walking the Dog by fun.
from Aim and Ignite

Late last year, I 'discovered' this awesome band The Format...then discovered they'd just broken up. :( Luckily, frontman Nate Ruess went on to form fun. It's got the same bombastic jaunty pop sound, but there's possibly even more going on (instrumentation, arrangements, his musical-theatre-rich voice) at all times, and a lot of referencing of other musical genres. At first, I thought it was all a bit to much, but I listened to a stripped back acoustic set yesterday and actually missed the OTTness of it all. I guess I've been won over!

Listen:


Have some more fun.!


## Two Weeks by Grizzly Bear
from Veckatimest

I'm a sucker for jangly, summery tunes and this, by indie darlings Grizzly Bear, is perfect in its shimmery lightness contrasting with the slightly mournful vocals and 'oooh aaaah' flourishes.

Watch/Listen: The video is creepy. :(



Songs of 2009 part 2
Songs of 2009 part 1

No comments: