Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Songs of 2009 part 2

The aim: a manageable list of my favourite songs of 2009

The criteria: released in 2009, and only one per artist (this was hard!)

Presenting part 2 (of 7), in alphabetical order by artist:

## Good Girls Go Bad by Cobra Starship
from Hot Mess

I don't think Leighton Meester should be encouraged in her music career, but you can't deny that this is one catchy fun song and video. Cobra Starship are courting commercial success with collaborations such as this on their shinier and glossier third album. While it doesn't have the heart and consistency of their great first album I'm just glad to see this long time fave (they do great live shows!) getting some recognition.

Watch: Good Girls Go Bad (HQ video)


## Nikorette by Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band
from Outer South

Sure, it's lighter in tone and meaning than anything Oberst was able to churn out as Bright Eyes. But how can you not love a rollicking, toe-tapping song that restlessly drives towards a great acoustic guitar solo breakdown in the middle? (If you're still jonesing for the old stuff, check out Ahead of the Curve, one of Oberst's contributions to the Monsters of Folk album also released this year.)

Download:
Nikorette


## From the Hips by Cursive
from Mama, I'm Swollen

I've seen this described (derisively) as emo for grown ups. Whatever it is, I love the dark, slow-build towards the furious, howling conclusion.
I'm in my worst when I'm at my best
I'm at my best when I'm trying to look and think and talk
And sing and read and write like all the rest
We're all just trying to play our roles
In a play that runs ad nauseum
I hate this damn enlightenment
We were better off as animals
Download:
From the Hips


## Little Bribes by Death Cab for Cutie
from The Open Door EP

The cheeriest song about love between two problem gamblers in Vegas. Also, one of my favourite lines of the year: Pretend every slot machine is a robot amputee waving hello.

Watch:

Death Cab for Cutie - Little Bribes from Ross Ching on Vimeo.



## Every Time You Lie by Demi Lovato
from Here We Go Again

I know, Disney Spawn. But this is a really good album! She has a great, husky voice beyond her years, and an arsenal of unashamedly pop songs that touch on all kinds of styles and genres. This track has a nice swing feel and is great for belting out loud in the privacy of your car. :)

Watch:



Songs of 2009 part 1

No comments: