Thursday, December 24, 2009

Songs of 2009 part 4

## Merrimack River by Mandy Moore
from Amanda Leigh

Bet you didn't know that a) I'm a closet Mandy Moore fan, and b) she released an album this year. A world away from the teen pop princess she once aspired to be (but could never quite be, ala Britney and Christina), Moore has, after a bumpy few transition albums, matured nicely into a singer-songwriter of some very pretty folk influenced adult contemporary music. I really like this opening track, stripped back, gentle and waltz-like.

Watch: live @ Walmart Soundcheck



## Help I’m Alive by Metric
from Fantasies

Emily Haines' pretty voice floating over fuzzy guitars and a relentless drum beat "like a hammer". I'm in.

Watch:


Download:
Help I'm Alive (acoustic)


## Satellite Skin by Modest Mouse
from No One’s First and You’re Next EP

This one is rollicking and full of attitude, Isaac Brock's growly voice, jangly guitars and an unexpected lightness. I must admit that apart from this song the EP didn't really grab me, but MM haven't lost the ability to rock out from time to time.

Watch:



## I Belong To You/Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Toi by Muse
from The Resistance

I just did not get this album at first. Muse have always been OTT and grandoise in their music and ideas, and I love them for it, but The Resistance was just too much on first listen. But then Al linked me to this review at Strange Horizons by Adam Roberts and I was so taken by how he lovingly describes and embraces it all that I gave it another go, this time with the SF framework as a guide. And it made all the difference. The album is still a little cold and synth-heavy for general listening, but when I'm in the mood for some storytelling it's evocative and interesting.

This song is immense and lush and darkly romantic, with its thumping beat and crashing piano chords and Matt Bellamy's voice poured over like syrup; and THEN they add a power-ballad bridge in French and throw in a jazzy woodwind interlude for good measure.

Listen: the karaoke version, complete with lyrics and random art. :)



Songs of 2009 part 3
Songs of 2009 part 2
Songs of 2009 part 1

No comments: