Saturday, August 8, 2009

Band of Horses - 7 Aug 2009 - House of Blues, Chicago

Lesson of the day: never ever again rely on Google Maps alone to find an unfamiliar venue. DDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

I was quite grumpy by the time we ended up at the HOB, an hour after we first set out, despite the fact it's only really two blocks from our hotel. Add to the fact the venue layout sucked, the floor was already packed full of obnoxious and tall people, and Cass McCombs played a boring support set and I was not a happy chappy at all by the time Band of Horses took the stage.

They really are very accomplished musicians, and they played a great mix of songs from both albums, as well as a few new songs from their upcoming album (which I know is called Night Rainbow because Ben Bridwell plugged it at every possible opportunity!). They were decidedly more country-sounding than usual, including a Gram Parsons cover amongst the midst, and looking less beard-y but more dressed in flannel than before. I enjoyed it, but I felt like I'd seen a better show the year before at home; I couldn't tell if that was actually the case though, or just my residual resentment at the everything else seeping through. I finally got to hear Monsters live though, even if I did get mocked by the (IRRITATING AND DRUNK) girl next to me when she caught me singing along.

The Great Salt Lake
Is There A Ghost?
Lamb on the Lam
Weed Party
Marry song
(new song)
Cigarettes, Wedding Bands
Window Blues
A Song for You (Gram Parsons cover)
(new song)
Funeral
Wicked Gil
(new song)
No One’s Gonna Love You
General Specific

Our Swords
The First Song
Monsters

No comments: