Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cobra Starship - 16 Mar 2010 - UNSW Roundhouse

So Al and I may have way before doors opened coughbecausewewereattendingthemeetandgreetcough* but we weren't really prepared to jostle in the building crowd of kids with artfully messy hair and neon leggings who were already thronging around the door.**

We hung around the near deserted 18+ area upstairs for Owl City's set; the songs have pretty melodies but none of them were memorable except for one song that riffed on Pachebel's Canon. We moved downstairs before Cobra Starship took to the stage, and watched warily as the floor filled with small, underdressed teens dancing for their lives at all the songs on the PA before the show. I'd seen Cobra Starship three times before, as they languished in support acts for their more famous labelmates, but after the popularity of a certain summer hit featuring Leighton Meester, they'd obviously picked up a much younger, much more mainstream audience. And for the first time ever I felt truly truly old at a gig.

However, the show was still great fun. Gabe remains one of the most charismatic frontmen I've seen, with his propensity for rambly rants part of his charm. The band manages to hold their own too, with Alex taking on banter duties for most of the show while the rest of the band demonstrated a fond, long-suffering patience as Gabe invariably sang and danced all up in their space. Audience participation was, as with all Cobra shows, an essential, from the girl who went on stage to do a spirited version of Travis McCoy's rap in Snakes on a Plane to Gabe calling on the crowd to put their fangs up (though this time round, with fewer die-hard fans, the audience needed some prompting as to how). The band also orchestrated a Mexican wave from one side of the room to the other, rather patronisingly asking the young crowd if they knew what a wave was before giving us step-by-step instructions, leading Al to witheringly say in my ear, "I feel like I'm at a Wiggles show".

The sound was fuzzy as it always seems to be in the Roundhouse, but the band brought a lot of energy and joy to the night, and Ryland's guitar moves were hot (white hot! *g*). The set was heavy with songs from the latest album, Hot Mess, which the adoring, party-hearty crowd loved, though I was a bit said to see only muted response for some of their equally good older material. Also, considering they have three albums to draw on, their set was ridiculously short; they played for only 45 minutes before leaving the stage. The reason for that was clear though when they returned for an eagerly awaited encore. Gabe's vocal issues have been widely reported in the last year; his singing was fine through the main set but it was obvious by the encore that his voice was shot. He continued cracking jokes with his hoarse voice though and they pushed through two more songs, closing with massive hit Good Girls Gone Bad to the crowd's cheering delight.

The City is at War
Pete Wentz is the Only Reason We're Famous
Nice Guys Finish Last
Kiss My Sass
My Moves Are White (White Hot That Is)
Wet Hot American Summer
The Church of Hot Addiction
Send My Love to the Dancefloor I'll See You in Hell (Hey Mr DJ)
Smile for the Paparazzi
Snakes on a Plane
Hot Mess
Guilty Pleasure

The Scene is Dead; Long Live the Scene
Good Girls Go Bad


* So, my first meet and greet, heh. It involved a lot of waiting in lines with young, squealy, mostly female fans. Al and I had discussed a plan of attack before our turn; we were going to stick together so we wouldn't get stuck making awkward conversation with individual band members...but we were split up as we stepped up. I awkwardly talked to Alex Suarez, the bassist, about seeing the Pixies as he signed for me, followed by the rest of the band in quick succession with little more than a quick 'hi'. Lead singer Gabe Saporta told me he was happy to see a fan of their earlier stuff - I'd brought the CD booklet of their first album - and gave me a high five when I told him it was my favourite of their albums. Al was brave enough to ask them to do hands hearts with us for our one allotted photo.

You may have noticed...tall band is tall

** As we sat a little aways, this kid came up and asked if he could wait with us since he was on his lonesome for the gig. He was here for support act Owl City, but after he and Al started chatting about pop-punk bands they were into, he acquiesced to give Cobra a try. :) He was adorable, not least because he thought we were still in uni, lol. But we gave ourselves away after a while of chatting about bands we'd seen, when he remarked "Wow, you guys go to a lot of shows". Of course we had, in comparison; he was probably in kindegarten when I went to my first show (I wish I were joking, but...)

No comments: