Friday, November 30, 2007

My Chemical Romance - 30 Nov 2007 - Sydney Entertainment Centre

The second support act Circa Survive were a little rough at the beginning of their set, and the crowd response was minimal, but I quite enjoyed them by the end. Their frontman was crazy into performing, and also had a surprisingly high voice which contrasted with their heavier sound. They also had this crazy sense of rhythm, a lot of syncopation in their beats, which kept things on edge, and lead to some really interesting (and also kind of alarming) resonance.

But I was here for My Chemical Romance, and let’s be honest: I love everything – the theatrics, the mouthy attitude, their concern for fans, the unashamed rock roots in their punk music, the grand anthemic songs. The show did not disappoint despite seeing them only a few months ago – it was a bigger affair overall with the larger venue, the pyro, the fantastic solid playlist of hits and old favourites. The energy on the floor was great, and the band were playing well (despite losing their drummer to a wrist injury a few weeks ago and having to play with a substitute instead). I spent most of the night watching lead singer Gerard Way, with his deliciously camp showmanship, and guitarist Ray Toro with his halo of hair and power stance guitar playing.

Highlights for me included Mama (complete with Way's hilariously OTT fake crying at the end; Toro's awesome extended guitar solo leading into Teenagers; the grand, slow-build of Sleep; and once again, the incredible feeling of joy that I get from seeing and hearing Famous Last Words live, my arm in the air like every other kid there, yelling the same affirmative words. I also loved the amount of songs they played from second album Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge as well as getting to hear songs that are not usually in their live shows.


How I Disappear
Dead!
I’m Not Okay
Give ‘em Hell
The Sharpest Lives
Mama
Cemetary Drive
Welcome to the Black Parade
I Don’t Love You
House of Wolves
You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison
Teenagers
Helena
Sleep
Cancer
-
Desert Song
Famous Last Words

No comments: