Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dappled Cities Fly / Red Riders - 15 Jun 2007 - The Metro

Last time I saw support act Belles Will Ring, supporting Death Cab for Cutie that time, they were a four piece, and not particularly memorable in a generic rock way. This time around, they were now a five member band, and they'd picked up a 60s folk-rock influence. Some of the songs from their album Mood Patterns are quite catchy – I particularly liked 'Park Benches', which is the point where their set picked up for me, 'Midnight' and 'The Coldest Heart'.

After Belles Will Ring, both Red Riders and Dappled Cities came out on stage and did a coin toss to determine who would play first on the double bill. To my relief, Dappled won the toss and elected to go first. After hearing Dappled briefly at Modest Mouse and wanting more, I'd come to really enjoy their sound. They didn't disappoint, with a good tight set; the band gelled together really well, and they seemed to be really enjoy playing, and the crowd’s response. I admit I tuned out a touch during the middle of the set with more material from A Smile but there were lots of great moments from second album Granddance. 'Work It Out' was slowed down, which threw me a bit at first, but still sounded great, and 'Holy Chord' was really beautiful live, with the crowd singing along enthusiastically.

Not a set list, but we definitely heard: Granddance, Peach, Vision Bell, Within Hours, Beach, Work It Out, Fire Fire Fire, Holy Chord and Colour Coding.

We ended up only staying for the first 3 songs of the Red Riders set, which included their hit 'What They Say About Us'. They struck me as being quite young, not really polished on stage yet, but they had a real energy to them that was fun. The crowd on the floor was really into them. They reminded me a bit of The Strokes, a bit of Franz Ferdinand.

No comments: